01 December 2009

today, and yesteryear



I wake at 10:00, and listen to BBC radio (Coldplay comes on), and play poker online before I get dressed in my black pants, white collared shirt, black vest, pin-on bow-tie. I read Lauren Bacall's autobiography on the bus. Once off, I get a snack at Rite Aid, drop off some books at the library across the street, and walk furiously to the theatre to get there the hour and half before the performance begins.

Once there, I sign in with the manager, put my coat in the coat room, sign up for two performances of A Musical Christmas Carol, sit in the meeting, get assigned upstairs, disregard the woman whose pissed because I've been assigned the left Mezzanine level, even though "she always works that section."

I stand outside the theatre door for 30 minutes, make sure no patrons come in before we open the theatre doors. I direct people to their seats. I tell a patron that she can't bring in an open drink in the nicest tone I can, but she still tells me that I'm stupid.

I watch the beginning of the Rockettes performance, waiting for an applause section to take late comers to their seats. I run downstairs and get my snack out of my purse that I have stashed in one of the fancy closed cupboards of which on top there are some lamps to light the foyer.

I rush downstairs to eat near the coat room where I am allowed to eat. I rush back upstairs and watch the rest of the show. During intermission I make sure no one brings in open drinks. Watch second half of show....

Well, all the while I'm doing these things that I've been doing since I was in high school, I think -- what am I doing here? I like the theatre, I even still get something out of it, but all the same, I wonder how it is I am in the same place I was five years ago.

-----

01 dec 08

woke at 9:40

40's, sunny

bought stamps, picked up reading from school

watched Top Gear while eating meatball sub from Pret A Manger [I really miss those]

Read Hardy along South Bank


The Eye and Big Ben from Waterloo Bridge

-----
Top: Edward Hopper "New York Movie"

1 comment:

Corzich is not a member of this site said...

Major Walko, I don't know why you're still there either! As long as you get something out of it.
My guess is you will probably drop it once you get a job, and yes, you will get a job, it just takes a little while right now....