07 February 2010

a spot of tea...(EDIT)

Instead of watching the Superbowl, I watched an adaptation of Jane Austen's EMMA on PBS. What a surprise there. If the Steelers had been playing, I would of course have watched the game, but only because I'd already seen EMMA when it broadcast in Britain.

The adaptation is brill, as BBC costume dramas go, but man am I really disappointed with how much was cut out of it in America due to time constraints. PBS has sent out official word saying that they have to delete scenes because they do not have enough time to present long-running shows in their entirety, but this, I know, is a fallacy. They would have enough time if they did not advertise their other shows so heavily before and after their programs. I thought they were a non-profit organization? It is just not right, and I do not understand why the BBC would let them get away with it.

Oh, yeah, money.

But hey, I've seen the original, and while watching the degrading cut version tonight I enjoyed a cup of tea. And that is good enough for me.



EDIT: I just found out that the REGION 1 version of EMMA will include all the scenes snipped out of the Masterpiece presentation....for which I am heartily grateful! Long live the Americans right to see BBC productions in their entirety.

1 comment:

emmsifoppicus said...

They cut bits?! Shocking.

Love your tea cup/saucer - cute! I only have mugs. I should soooooooooo get a nice little tea set. 'tis only proper. :P