07 March 2010

I write

Because nobody can give the high price you require for your confidence. Nobody is rich enough to purchase it. Nobody has the honour, the intellect, the power you demand in your adviser. There is not a shoulder in England on which you would rest your hand for support, far less a bosom which you would permit to pillow your head. Of course you must live alone.
SHIRLEY, Charlotte Bronte, 380


I write in the pink notebook I bought in London at WH Smith. In London I wrote notes in here for class. In America I fill the rest of the empty pages with quotes from the books I read and thoughts I have that I have to write in here first (in my inscrutable handwriting) before typing on the computer. Because, if I try writing these thoughts on the computer first, my repressed self won't let it come out. I suppose the relative privacy of a notebook shelters my tortured unconscious. I sound like a therapist.

I have been thinking about seeing a therapist. But I cannot imagine finding someone to talk to that would be good enough for me -- meaning someone I can depend on, who will want me to talk to them, who has my best interest at heart. I imagine (rather -- fear) that even therapists have their own agendas. Would, for instance, not think me clever enough or interesting enough to deal with me and will subtly express this. This paranoia stems from my parents, both of whom were not a good support for me and still are not, who have such problems of their own that they are incapable of dealing with mine, who I cannot explain my feelings to because they are either not sympathetic (primarily my mother) or not -- well -- knowledgeable enough about life (dad). I often blame others who are not able to be as dependable and interested as I would like them to be, but I know that this is not something realistic. People can only give as much they can. My parents should have been more reliable; I can get away with blaming them a little. And I do.

2 comments:

Corzich is not a member of this site said...

I agree that any therapist will have their own agenda. All humans do. That said, some therapists are good, I'm sure. Worth the money may be a different affair. You know, I'm always available if you need/want to talk. It can even be in person. I promises to keep my languid sighing and "such is life" to a minimum. :)
Hang in there--

emmsifoppicus said...

I've had 6 sessions of therapy because my dad's a vicar and I could have up to 6 sessions free with the parish counsellor for vicars and their families...LOL...at a time when I was 16 and freaking out about exams, applying for uni, the fact that I had no boyfriend and was overly timid about making new friends. It helped. I ended up in tears a lot though, but it relieved me somewhat. Even though it was not for an extended period of time it had some effect, in that I can sort of counsel myself, i.e. if panicking, to calm down, think of my options,fears etc and try to see past them, or to talk to a good friend and talk things through. It's the talking your feelings through and understanding them with another person that helps me... worth trying a therapist but they can be pricey! Hence why as soon as my free sessions ran out I quit! xx