11 July 2009

my desk

"Light-heartedness always made Soames suspicious -- there was generally some reason for it." Galsworthy (178)
---

I'm going to cheat and not write anything of substance tonight. Not quite different to any night, really. So this is my post.

What Helen has on the desk she is typing on

  • Obviously -- my laptop, apple mac

  • Galsworthy's "A Modern Comedy"

  • The Secret Smile, starring David Tennnant as a stalker obsessed with his ex-girlfriend. A feel good movie.

  • CD by Massive Attack; "The End of the Affair" by Graham Greene

  • Harrods tea; a little brown stuffed bear with a straw bonnet (only stuffed animal I have in my room); Loose leaf Coco Truffle tea

  • A complete set (sans one) of Thackeray's books, a green hard back edition from the late 19th century

  • A tea cup that I drink tea out of every night while either watching a movie/television show or playing poker

  • a change purse that I bought in Camden Market in North London in '06 that is currently holding the remaining British change that I own

  • Programs for various shows playing, like DOUBT at the PICT and shows at the Symphony Hall

  • A card from the White House that my grandfather received in 1951 to attend a "Highway Safety Conference". He was then Mayor of Canton, Ohio

  • A card reminding me that I have an eye appointment this Wednesday

  • Tylenol, allergy medication, nasal spray, Clearasil ultra, Halls throat lozenges, makeup remover

  • Post-it Notes

  • A paper-weight with London landmarks on it (the eye, big ben, london bridge)

  • A slew of books on the Bronte's (Juliet Barker bio; Villette; Jane Eyre; guide book of the parsonage that I bought when I visited; The Bronte Myth by Lucasta Miller; The Life of Charlotte Bronte by Elizabeth Gaskell; The Oxford Companion to the Bronte's; a collection of letters).

  • Other books displayed: The Good Life, a philosophy book bought for Grant's class; Possession by A. S. Byatt; Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather; Shopgirl by Steve Martin


No comments: