05 July 2009

thought v.s. fact -- round one

I am determined to write one post a day here, but don't have much to write. I am tired, a bit sunburnt after having spent the weekend in the country for the fourth.

I keep thinking about my creative writing teacher telling me that my writing is too introspective. Not enough description of people and action details. My writing is too thoughtful, philosophical. It would be nice if I could branch out into a more narrative form, but don't particularly care to. I feel like then it would not be me. Anyway, I don't want to be a novelist.

That I think too much about things instead of just seeing the world as it is -- wondering why that man walks every day from 6:00 - 7:00, instead of just describing him (weak example, but you get the point), does say a lot about me, I suppose. I live more within myself than in the "real" world. Am I trying to escape life? A bit, maybe. It seems we're all into that, and use all sorts of devices to do so, television, drugs, obsessions with new crazes that fill in those gaps in our life that we don't quite know how otherwise to fill. But also, it is easy to describe something, not quite so easy to look at that thing abstractly. Many people do the former -- in life, in todays fictional works.

Simplicity is the trademark of our generation. Perhaps of every generation. The Victorians may have thought the early twentieth century, with its introduction of the (better constructed) car, radio, television, an easier, and perhaps scarier, mode of living.

Maybe we think too much about things. Maybe we want to get away from that. Just show how things are. Facts. Science. No more wondering what things are -- we find out what they are, give an explanation to them. Pretty soon there will be no mystery to life. We will have figured it all out.

It is my thought that whatever we think life is -- using our scientifc tests -- is not actually what life is. That whoever created us, if such a creator exists, set up a mirage of truth that we consider real but in actuality is not even near it.

----

Thinking is good. Dreaming. Making up. We all have to have some mystery to life. Some difficulties, not everything can be so simple. There would be nothing to live for, otherwise. Life is only worth living if we make something unique out of it.

Nope, I haven't a clue where I'm going with this. Perhaps I'll come back tomorrow and try to narrow it down. (Try to create some sort of solid, final argument that makes sense in realistic terms as is our need as human beings).

Okay, that's the thing. By pinning it down, do we lose its essence? By trying to create a cohesive argument about this idea between reality in thought and fact, will I then lose a part of its reality? I think so. That is why I have recently found it so hard to write literary essays. Because not everything can be included, unless it flows, unless the reader can follow your thought(s). This is considered important, and so it is, for your reader to understand what you are writing, but I think in our endeavour to make others understand, to pin down the reality, we lose a part of it -- perhaps the very part that makes it real, so that what we are left with is a half-constructed (although seemly well created), semi-real (although considered wholly realistic) argument.

No comments: