23 November 2009

reflections

23-11-08

woke at 8:00

Stacey left for America at 9:00

Sunny/rainy, cold, 40's

watched LITTLE DORRIT and EINSTEIN AND EDDINGTON

----

Once Stacey leaves, my time in London becomes a bit depressing. Fail a paper and return home to America.

It is hard to explain how a time can be so bad, and yet so great at the same time. That's what it was like in London. My first time there, in '06, when I was a study abroad student for 3 1/2 months was nothing but a pleasant experience. It is where I met Stacey and our mutual friend -- my roommate -- Kristen. My time in grad school was pretty bad, but I loved walking around London. That was the greatest part. Waking at 6:00 in the morning and walking across Waterloo Bridge before the sun came up; walking across the Thames Embankment while the sun rose. I miss it so much, that even now I'm welling up just thinking about it.

The theatre. I loved seeing shows. I saw some of the greatest performers of my time. Derek Jacobi, Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, Dame Judi Dench, Rosamund Pike, Patrick Stewart, Anna Maxwell Martin, Kenneth Branagh, Ralph Fiennes, Dame Eileen Atkins, Sophie Thompson, Gina McKee. Saw productions like HAMLET and TWELFTH NIGHT, plays that are no where better made than in the soil from which they sprang.

I think back and I wonder if I didn't enjoy it enough. I knew when I was there that I should grab every moment, that one day I would be stuck in a bad situation and have something good to look back on.

I think I did make the most of it, the most of what was given to me; at least I took what I could from it.

And I know some day I will return to London, not feeling the visitor, but as though I've never left. I know a little of myself will always belong in London.

Trafalgar Square


St. Paul's from Millennium Bridge

Typically foggy London morning on Westminster Bridge

No comments: