20 January 2010

confused

I'm pretty upset with my career counselor. She hasn't gotten in touch with me and her secretary called saying that she has been busy. So here I am, with an unfinished resume, and no prospects of a job, the one that we were looking at for which she was going to supposedly call someone to find out about has probably been filled. I was actually interested in that one too.

I don't understand how people we are suppose to be able to depend on are actually the ones who are the least dependable.

2 comments:

Corzich is not a member of this site said...

TOUGH TALK ALERT-----
you are discussing someone in a third-rate job at a 4th rate university, no offense, no reflection on you. I dont know anyone who got a job through their schools career office, EVER. No matter what year, school, economy, I've never known someone who said "hey I got referred for this job by my schools career office". You are taking career advice from someone whose own job consists of sounding hopeful and telling scared people to write resumes. Does this seem rational? You will find a job. You will have to do it through your own energy and networking though. Subconsciously, you are using this counselor as a crutch. If you talk to her, you feel youve done your job-hunting for the day, even if the counselor hasnt really moved you closer to employment. And lets be honest, she hasnt.

The career office will not help you. You should set yourself a goal of applying to at least one realistic job a day. And until one of them comes through, you should treat job applying as your full time job.

I dont mean to sound harsh. I do care, and want good things for you. But these useless drones in career offices drive me nuts, and she's holding you back.

abb said...

I like it when you write about yourself on here. I know this may sound strange, but you are more interesting to me than Jane Austen :)