31 August 2009

death and renewal



We started getting doves above our door, in the outside alcove, a few years ago. They would have their babies there. We would get about six couples every summer. My family and I liked to think that one of the adult birds was one of the babies that were previously born there. Last year we had a few families of birds and then a cat from across the street came and killed them. We just had one couple this year and just as the babies hatched, the cat came over and killed them. Doves are suppose to bring good luck if they nest on your home. What does it mean if they are slaughtered there? Now if doves try to make a nest above our door I will have to destroy their nest to protect them from the cat. This makes me very sad. I feel proud that they choose my home as their own, a place were they feel they will be protected enough to have their babies.

Fall is upon us. Soon the leaves will be brown and fall from their trees. For the first time it is not the bleak harbinger it usually is. No school to start. And I am enjoying it. I can't wait to wear heavy sweaters, sleep under my heated blanket, drink hot chocolate, put on my big manly boots and stomp through freshly fallen snow, and walk through the brisk air knowing that once I get home I can enjoy a hot shower. And Thanksgiving and Christmas, and all the good-feeling it brings. Turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie; bright red and green coloured decorations and lights.

1 comment:

emmsifoppicus said...

:) I'm looking forward to Winter too :) x