18 November 2008

In which Helen expresses hatred for banks...and other such people

Long story short:

I've been trying to set up an English bank account to transfer my loan money into. Went to Nationwide when I first got here, two weeks later was told that they lost my application. Did it again. Two weeks later (today) I got a letter saying that b/c I didn't put my phone number on the application, it was torn up and I have to fill out a new one.

Right.

So I went to the bank (natwest) that my school sponsors. They say that they can't process an application for me until they see verification of how long I am going to be living here from my school. So now I have to go to student services, get a letter from them, go back there, show them that and they will process an account for me that may take two weeks to appear.

Then it takes two weeks for my loans to transfer.

Which may mean that I won't have my loan money for when I leave to go back to America.

Which means I won't have enough money to buy a plane ticket back, until I can get money from a relative.


Beyond agrivating!

I wrote on here -- but then deleted it b/c I thought it too "negative -- that I had received a letter from my school saying I would be suspended if I didn't pay my rent money for my flat -- Now the credit control office had ASSURED me that since I signed my loan checks it would automatically be paid -- but lo and behold, three weeks after it should have been paid I receive said letter. Had to chase them around like little kids without their bonnets to get them to do what they should have done in the first place....


It is sad that this happens every time. No wonder I worry that something will go wrong -- it usually does, especially if people are involved.

6 comments:

emmsifoppicus said...

Yeah, the bureaucrats are crappish at the banks - I signed up for a natwest a 8 weeks ago on uni campus (they have a branch), because you get a free 5-year railcard worth a third off ticket fares all the time...because the dude dictating the form to me and filling in in forgot to ask for my birthday, they chose to wait to weeks, THEN ring me to tell me they forgot. I was like "cheers!" *eye-roll* but it got sorted. Summet like this always happens where money is concerned - it's a bit worrying that you are stuck without money in the meantime - they ought to provide you with a grant or something. Surely there is a finance department at the college to give you any emergency money should you need it?... it sucks, hope the money appears asap x

Unknown said...

Chin up, little Helen! Don't let a silly thing like a bank piss you off! Keep doing your homework, missy. I'll check in on you again soon. Stop in the library when you are back in the States.

- Danelle

HelenW said...

Thanks Danelle!!!!

Unknown said...

Is everything going ok other than the bank fiasco? You don't seem to be getting out much! I'll have to round up a posse for you so you can paint London-town red. Don't ask how I will do this from Pittsburgh, but I'll give it a go. Make sure to enjoy yourself as well as keeping up with your studies. You only live once, Helen. Try everything while you are over there!
- Danelle

HelenW said...

oh I got out a lot :) Went to a christmas street lighting tonight with a friend of mine. They had real reindeer!!!!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! Hate this shit.

This is why Marsha does the bills. ;)

So, what are the chances of you having problems coming home for Christmas??