04 June 2009

04 June 2009, Thursday

Had a good day at the library. Was a little boring/punishing (some of the people I work with are beyond neurotic, which I would explain further if I were a proper writer, but really -- I don't care to), but had a nice lunch with Tom, one of my co-workers, and finally mailed out the letter to my English bank to have my money transferred into my American one.

I am listening to Franz Ferdinand. Their newest album "Tonight" is unbelievably good. Scottish rock group. If anyone is reading this, check this out:



-------------

I'm reading "Being Elizabeth" by Barbara Taylor Bradford.



A young woman who becomes the head of a business empire. The usual for Barbara. Her "Woman of Substance" was the first novel I read that sparked my love for literature. That novel was so well written, so long and beautifully written. Ever since then her novels have been close-clipped and rather simple, as most writers who are popular but not necessarily award winning. Seems to me as though once she became popular she just decided to take it easy, make money by producing one best-selling book a year. Whateva, I still read them, although I'm disappointed in her all the same. Disappointment; I'm good at that.

--------------

Advantage of working at a library is all the stuff you take home. Movies/t.v. shows I currently have.

Several series of French & Saunders
Jesus Camp (an apparently horrific real life documentary)
The Love Guru
The Wedding Date
As Time Goes By (the British t.v. show with Judi Dench)
Quantum of Solace
Bob Le Flambeaur
Arrested Development, season one and two
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, season 2
The Avengers (with Diana Rigg)
Wall*e
State of Play (British mini-series)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surprise!
I'll cop to being neurotic, but it is not my intention to punish you--surely life does that on it's own, to us all? I am merely trying to get to the bottom of the misshelving in the holds--not saying you're doing it, not saying you're not, but my position compels me to do SOMETHING different. I was trying to experiment in this way without hurting your feelings, but I see I failed, for which I apologize.

HelenW said...

Mike! What are you doing reading my blogs!

I wasn't talking about you and it was really just a off-hand remark. I will tell you who I really had in mind when I come in on Tuesday -- or Monday. I was thinking about doing three days a week, but not quite sure if I can deal with it. I like the neuroticism really. Everything was so pristine and pure in London; I like a bit of the dark side.

And, uh, I know how to shelve alphabetically. We need to have a little chat about this b/c I honestly haven't noticed that the holds have been out of order, even a little. I have a feeling who is complaining, however, and I bet this person only found like one or two books out of order, and is being overly dramatic about it. If it is anything, I'm fairly certain it is only that as the day goes on, and clerks take off books for people, that they get a bit disorganized. But after you told me about this, I asked Tom about it, and he told me that he hadn't noticed anything a miss either.

Just tell me if something is wrong.