05 June 2009

05 June 2009, Friday

Today I woke at 12:30, my cat Tigger curled next to me.

I ate a muffin and did things on the Internet. Myspace, Facebook, wrote some people, read about the disintegration of the labour party in Britain on timesonline.co.uk as many of its front-bench MP's have resigned as a result of the expenses row; watched David Cameron, the leader of the opposition, argue with the labour prime minister Gordon Brown on Prime Minister's Questions.



Argued on the Jane Eyre forum of which I am a member (surprising, yeah?) that Charlotte Bronte, though probably, may not have been pregnant when she died. Cited Juliet Barker's monumental (900 page) biography on the Bronte's as a source as well as Lucasta Millers revelatory "The Bronte Myth", which de-constructs many of the myths about the Bronte's and shows the probably truth, such as the false-hood to Gaskell's portrait of Charlotte in her Life of Charlotte Bronte as an innocent creature whose stories were merely a creation of her environment and not of herself. Fascinating read, and one that I hope the writers of the not-yet produced biopic of the Bronte's (called -- ingeniously -- "Bronte") decide to consider.

Bought a ticket to "What The Butler Saw", the play the Pittsburgh Irish and Classical Theatre has currently put on.

I watched one episode of "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer", then took a walk around the neighbourhood while listening to Franz Ferdinand and Ashlee Simpson.

Watched another episode of Buffy.

-----



from the political section of The Times Online

-----

I want to like certain people. I think I will like them, get along with them. But it is as though I don't know myself, so that when I get close to people whom I think I will get along fabulously with -- people who I admire and think quite fun -- I then find out that I find them quite boring, or just don't like their company. It is as though the closer I get to someone, the less I find appealing. Most of the time it is probably because what I thought they were, they were not; or I thought I would find a certain characteristic of theirs appealing, but then find out that I do not. But mostly I think I just do not know myself.

No comments: