16 June 2009

an interview

I am listening to the soundtrack to LITTLE WOMEN. Just happens to be on. I always set my music on random.

I have a job interview tomorrow. My first one since my second year of college when I got the library position. I don't even really know what it is for, other than I applied for it on Monster.com one night when I was suddenly freaking out because everyone is telling me to get a job. I just applied to a few dozen that seemed remotely doable. It is downtown and in the usx tower. I like that building. It is very high. I'm pretty nervous about it, although I think it is silly that I do. It is just that things like this -- job interviews -- are so silly. You have to dress nice and answer (often intentionally tricky) questions "correctly". What do you think you can bring to this institution? I mean honestly. Most times people know they can't bring anything, they just make something up that sounds good. Most of the time we just need a job, and one that pays enough to realistically live on. We can do the job. Is that not enough?

We all have to be better than any of the other contenders. Bring something unique to the table. That's why we're all neurotic. We constantly try to be unique without being too unique. We all have to fit in to our social niche but stand ever so little out so as to "get ahead."

These things just make me so moody. I really don't want a job. If I didn't want to move out of my parents place so bad, I would probably live on what I have until it runs out.

But tomorrow I won't think like this. During the interview at least. I'll be very complacent and say things that (probably on the whole) I don't really mean, or understand.

Now I'm listening to Westminster Bridge from the Doctor Who soundtrack.

No comments: