30 June 2009

yeah, I'm pretty morbid

"We're ruled by the inventors, and human nature." - Galsworthy, A Modern Comedy (5)


Last night I had a vivid dream that I was sitting first class in an airplane that, upon take-off, was having such difficulties that the plane could not stop climbing into the sky so that the plane became perpendicular. My only thought was to keep the child next to me, a girl who apparently was the daughter of one of my friends, from falling out of her seat. I kept my hand on her arm for the some 5 minutes -- so it seemed -- that the plane stayed upright in the sky, until finally I thought to myself, why haven't we crashed yet, and just then we did, and I woke.

After waking up, I discovered that there was a plane that, today or yesterday, had crashed into the ocean with 150 or so people on board, highly reminiscent of a similar occurrence with the flight from Brazil a few weeks ago. One girl was pulled out of the wreckage, a teenager. A boat had been nearby. Everyone else is lost.

This really affects me. Bad. The plane company (another French one) have admitted that the plane was not in good condition, that it was soon to be looked into being replaced. Furthermore:

"We were expecting this crash to happen," said a spokesman for the France-Comores association in France. "There have been times when people have turned up at the airports and seen the conditions of the planes and refused to get on," he said. (timesonline)

Ridiculous! No one else seems to care much. Haven't heard much about it here in America. There were no Americans on board. This is just wrong. Maybe I'm a bit hyper about it because of the dream I had just hours before.

The stupidity of human nature combined with the unknowable occurrences created by Fate or whatever is just too much for me.

I will spend days morbidly wondering what their last minutes were like.

1 comment:

abb said...

i think about those people too. and about the 14 year old girl who survived. her mother died in the crash.

i can only imagine what must be going through her mind. to be the sole survivor of such a tragedy. she obviously has a purpose on this planet.

it is good to think about these things. you are an introspective human being. do not be hard on yourself for imagining what others feel before they die.