11 September 2008

In which Helen becomes rather despondent

This is mostly for Abby who has informed me that she is spending all day at the library checking my blog to know what is going on. :) But I'm sure my other friends are wondering what's up too -- you guys have been very awesome during this time. 

Everything's pretty jumbled. I called the Welfare department at my school that deals with VISA questions but they are not taking calls because they are not in the office due to orientation week. The recording told me to e-mail them (but somehow they can receive e-mails?) so I did and was told that they do not know how long the VISA will take and that I have to get in touch with the Consulate. I had told them in the e-mail that I couldn't get in touch with them, by e-mail or phone, but there it is, that is my only option now. There is an emergency line for British Citizens only where you leave a message about your problem and they supposedly call you back, but even if I leave a message, I doubt they'll call me back, given that I'm a mere American that is apparently not worth their time. 

Also called Housing, the only ones I didn't have problems with. They will keep my room. 

Now I have the huge problem of figuring out -- by 6:00 tonight -- what date to change my flight to. Since I don't know how long the VISA is going to be, it is difficult to make an informed decision. I want to make it for next Friday, but fear I won't have the VISA by then, but don't want to make it later because my classes start the following Tuesday and if I have the VISA by then, it will be such a bother to miss my classes. But each time I change my ticket costs me at least 200.00 dollars for doing so, plus any difference between the original cost of the ticket to the new one. 

The thing that really scares me is that I had sent my VISA information two weeks ago and they had only just sent it (overnight!) two days ago to inform me that I had missing information. If it took them that long to open the thing, how long will it take for them to get it all together?

Okay, so I just found an e-mail address (google search: British Consulate e-mail). They have two. Sent an urgent e-mail to both. Received an "unable to be delivered" message from one of the e-mail addresses, and then my yahoo went down. Can't get on it, can't read my messages -- apparently, the good people at yahoo are aware of this and trying to get the system back up and running.

Like, really, am I on Ashton Kutcher's "Punk'd"? 

You guys would tell me, right?


[pic: Billie Piper]

5 comments:

emmsifoppicus said...

Hang in there, I'm sure it will all be worth it. x

HelenW said...

Thanks Emma!

At least I have tried everything I can. I just have to wait.

Anonymous said...

hopefully everything will work itself out soon.. im prayin for ya

Jessica

HelenW said...

Thanks Jess!

(I might now see you before I leave).

Anonymous said...

Frustrating. At least it seems you're chipping through the bureaucratic Gilliam-dystopian wall.

Let's hope that this will *truly* be "An American in London" before long! :)