12 September 2008

In which Helen wonders if she should be or not be upset that she can't get tickets for Hamlet


Here's something else to add to my list of disappointments. This is turning out to be a cheery blog.

I cannot for the life of me get a ticket to see Hamlet, starring David Tennant and Patrick Stewart, in London, in December. Tickets went on sale this morning, 5:00 AM my time, 10:00 AM British. It is the most popular show in Britain now. It sold out for its three and half month run in Stratford before it even began. It's only in London for a month. 

Well, to be short, it is impossible to get a ticket. They're already "almost sold out" according to the Web site. The portion of the Web site to buy tickets is down and the box office not picking up. The only site that I could get on, and an actual legitimate Web site that sells tickets for the theatre, is selling two tickets at a time for $1,200!

Perhaps not all is lost, though. Apparently they hold 25 tickets for each performance for those between 16 - 25 for 5 pounds which you have a chance of getting every performance day. Of course I'll be stuck in the really shitty seats where everyone on stage will look like peanuts -- which doesn't do well for my elitist tastes -- but I suppose I'll have to lower my standards for once. 


[David Tennant in Hamlet]

4 comments:

molski said...

sometimes student rush seats are saved for the first and second row, since they aren't neccessarily great seats in order to watch the play. though i suppose more often than not they are junk seats. but do not despair just yet. the british are pretty nice to young theatre goers

HelenW said...

I got Kristen and I student discount tickets for the Alan Cumming play that was only a few rows back and directly in the middle of the aisle.

But I have a feeling that they'll want to get their money's worth with this show.

Let's hope my pessimism is incorrect.

:)

emmsifoppicus said...

Can't say I'm surprised! I got to see The Tempest in London with Patrick Stewart a year ago with my English class - we made our teacher book them like 9 months in advance - the London plays are almost always sellouts :(

If you know there's a play in a few months you want to go to - watch when they release tickets and buy buy buy!!!

HelenW said...

Yeah, tickets went on sale this morning but it was just too much of an overload on the phones and online. I think you had to be at the theatre to get a ticket.