15 September 2008

In which Helen waits



I'm having a really difficult time dealing with this VISA problem. I can't do anything. All I can do is wait for my VISA to come. It is really killing me. I should be doing orientation this week; I should be finalizing my paperwork for enrollment. I just received an e-mail saying that the first instalment of my federal loans are ready to pick up at the credit control office. It is my job to pick up the check and pay my fees. I don't think anything is due until next month, but still it is there, and I can't pick it up yet.

I hate this waiting. This mindless waiting. I'm trying to stay level headed. I'm trying to not descend into the overly dramatic. I'm trying to suppress the need to rant and throw things against the wall. But I have nothing to do with myself but worry about my VISA not coming in for my Friday flight. I don't think it will. I'm suppose to receive an e-mail when they open up my VISA and then when they send it out. Haven't, of course, received either.

I'm sleeping -- a lot. Trying to get each day done with as fast as I can.

The only good thing about this delay is that it makes me want to get out of here even more.


["The Letter" by Jack Vettriano]

4 comments:

abb said...

you are strong and you will make it. do not despair Walko. i know it seems bleak right now, but things will come around. and that is not just blind opitimism, it is the way it must be.

HelenW said...

Thanks Abby. Rebecca (prof. from point park) wrote me and said that I was so calm under the circumstances and that she would be going to pieces right now.

Outwardly I'm pretty calm.

Anonymous said...

I'd be a mess. Bravo on your sense and sensibility. Bureaucracy is a nerve-tester. (Watch Terry Gilliam's BRAZIL.)

The sleep defense is interesting - and much better than boozing. ;)

Fingers crossed!

abb said...

m.s. stands for Mark Strand