09 September 2008

in which Helen tells the British Consulate to have "special relations" with themselves

I'm not happy tonight. I have not yet received my VISA which I need to show the immigration officer when I arrive in London because I will be studying in the country for a year. Now granted everything that I have needed to do for London has happened last minute. Everything until now has pulled through. But this is not looking so good. I HAVE to have my VISA. They will throw me out of the country if I do not have it. I shouldn't even bother flying to London on Friday if I don't have it by then. Apparently, I am suppose to get an e-mail when my VISA is completed; this is before they even send me the thing. I have not yet received this e-mail. I did not think it would take this long for them to get it together. I cannot get in touch with the British Consulate in New York where I sent the application. Their phone number only takes me to a list of recordings about how to apply for a VISA and their only customer service number has not been working. It say's that it will direct me to someone to only a second later say, "Sorry, no calls can be taken at this time. Please call back later." Apparently no calls can be taken ever, since I've been calling all day and receiving the same message. I got in touch with someone that is somehow related to the Consulate but is not at the Consulate and probably not even in the States it seems from their mexican accent. Yeah, mexican. Wait, I better change paragraphs here for those who find it difficult to read anything that is more than five sentences long.

Okay. New paragraph. Everyone ready? Okay so this person essentially told me that -- no, I can't get in the country without a VISA, no I cannot tell you the status of your application, and the only thing you can do is wait for it to come in regardless of the fact that you have a flight on Friday. I don't know what to do. I'm pissed off, I know that much. I feel a bit defeated. I've spent so much money for this already, and done so much shit for it, and now this. I suppose I could defer my flight until next week (another 200.00 dollars down the crapper), hope that the VISA comes in by then, and hope also that my residence won't mind me showing up a week late. Plan of action is to call King's College tomorrow, ask them if they know what I should do -- though they probably can't do anything -- and try to get through to the blow-heads at the British Consulate to find out the status of my app. 

Am not very optimistic at this point. Just pretty confused and pissy. 


(picture: Rosamund Pike in Pride and Prejudice 2005)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's horrible! I'm sorry that this is happening - or not happening, I should say.

All I can do is hope the email or call or whatever comes through before it's too late!

Keep us all updated, of course. It's an interesting read, at least. (With pics of hot chicks.) :)

HelenW said...

haha. I know now how to keep one of my blog readers happy. :)

I wrote one of my former profs in England who seems to think that it may be feasible for me to enter the U.K. as a visitor since I will be coming back to the States for Christmas. I don't know -- that sounds too good to be true at the moment. I have e-mailed the financial aid department at the school (who, I know, are already so sick of hearing from me) and will make calls tomorrow. I'm just no good at this kind of stuff -- chasing people around. I like to do everything myself so I don't have to deal with this kind of crap.

molski said...

man i am sorry to hear you are having trouble.
i have another friend who just flew to london for school and her facebook statuses were pretty much exactly like yours.
it seems everyone is hating on the british consulate. and for good reason apparently.
good luck! i am sure it will work out.