03 October 2008

cheese is good

I'm in my room eating English Cheddar cheese. It is so good.

I was just in the kitchen. Two of my flat mates said that every Sunday each one of us on the floor cooks a meal for the group. It's a cool idea since each person living here is from a different country -- one from India, another from China, Taiwan, Canada, England, and me. This week Natalie, the English girl, is making a pot roast. I told them that my cooking might end up a disaster, so that I'd probably end up buying burgers and hotdogs for mine.

Mmm. Real cheddar cheese -- there's a picture of a cow on the package -- with Ritz crackers -- the only kind in the store that didn't have cheese already in the cracker.

And diet coke.

They don't have diet, caffeine free coke/pepsi here. (They don't have pepsi either, actually). I forgot about that. Now I'm going to have a heart attack from too much caffeine.

I was walking along the Embankment the other day, a sort of border walk on the Thames river that connects the City to Westminster. This is just before my first class was to begin. I calculated that I had an hour and a half. I forgot, however, how long the walk was. About 30 minutes in, I guessed, I was about 10 blocks away from my school. I figure I'd better find out what time it is -- I still had to buy a pen, my luggage hadn't arrived yet, and find out where my class was, I was told by my tutor that the class rooms are numbered in a strange organized (or really, non=organized) manner and I should get there early to find my classes. She was right, by the way, it took me twenty minutes of walking in a daze, trying to follow signs that took me to the wrong places, before I asked the front desk. It was that the "2" indicating what floor did not mean up two floors from the ground floor but down two floors.

So I was worried that I wouldn't get back in time. There was really near no tube station so I would have to walk. I begin digging in my Strand bag to find my cell phone that, although dead because my adaptor was still at Heathrow with the rest of my luggage, I could still use to look at the time. I'm looking, looking. Not there. I could have sworn I put it in there. I stop at a bench to get out of people's way. No where can it be found. I figure I better just turn around and walk as fast as I can when I walk away from the bench and the trees, look up, and notice that I have reached the end of the embankment. I am now in Westminster. And there above me is -- Big Ben.

I had an hour yet before my class began.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank God the football-player Ben isn't above you. I hear it's not safe to be under overpaid oafs. :)

The meal-rotation tradition is very cool. A great way to get to know each other.