08 October 2008

In which Helen expounds on British foods

I'm eating a mozerella (sp) basil and tomato melt. So good! But I was beginning to think about American food. The British don't make sub sandwiches, hoagies, like we do. I don't even think (Emma, am I correct?) that the English use mayonnaise on anything nor do they sell it -- yeah? At least, I've never seen it anywhere.

I suppose you can get a burger somewhere but I've never had one in England. Pizza's are sold here -- they have Pizza Hut -- but the popular European pizza is the Margherita, which is a thin-crust pizza with basil, tomatoes, and generally loads of cheese.

I've already mentioned how I can't find diet, caffeine free pepsi here, and pepsi itself is undermined by coke, whereas in America the two can be found on any store shelves. (Though in America generally either one or the other is served in restaurants).

The only place I have found hotdogs are the ones sold on the street, that cost nearly 4 pounds, sold in vendors that you would find on most streets in New York City.

We have McDonalds, Burger King, Subway here but nothing within the English cuisine that is especially large in portion size like the Americans culinary penchant with sandwiches three feet tall. Their largest dishes are things like stews, chile con carne, and bangers and mash (sausage on potatoes). High in starches. Their gravy is loaded with onions and is more soupy than thick.

There are sandwiches sold in rectangular packages in most cafe's (like Caffe Nero, any store --Tesco's and Boots -- and Pret A Manger). They are the essential, and by that I mean usual, lunch time food. Pre-packaged sandwiches. Some with egg and ham, that's a popular one. Or cheese, lettuce and tomato. Like what your mother made you for lunch every morning, except here you don't have to wait for someone to make it for you; they're just there, on the shelf, like a diet coke. Aha! Here, a picture:



The melt that I got was also sitting on a refrigerated shelf. It is heated at the desk in a toaster oven. No sauces applied.

Here's what the traditional English breakfast looks like. It is what most people eat in the morning (as we would scrambled eggs or cereal, though certainly they eat that too). It is what I had most mornings when I went to breakfast in my previous dorm.



You got your beans -- the British LOVE their beans, they eat it with everything, another favourite dish is beans on toast (it is as it sounds) -- then black pudding (which is not always a staple, I believe, or at least I've never had it with it before) -- sausage -- eggs -- mushrooms and ham -- usually there is toast as well, and sometimes chips (fries).

Different ingredients are added depending on what part of Britain you are from -- whether England, or Ireland, Scotland, or Wales.

I'm going to try to find a little known place that serves English breakfast in Smithfield that I saw on the Anthony Bourdain show. It is near the Smithfield Meat Markets where men still -- and have for hundreds of years -- cut up meat and store them for the various shops that buy them. Afterward they go to this cafe and have a "fry-up" as the English breakfast is known in Ireland.


Smithfield Market

It's cheap, since it caters mostly to the butchers in the area, but the best place to have a real English breakfast as, obviously, the meat is extremely fresh.

9 comments:

rosefromearth said...

LOL, okay, I know that I don't really know you but this is really hilarious. I love the photos and all.

Don't eat the black pudding. It's neither black nor pudding.

Puddings should be left to banoffee pie and/or choc ice.

Beans are good, and we do have mayonnaise, you just have to look.

Not that I am saying British food is the best, I have travelled a bit too much to think that.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget english muffins - and english breakfast tea - and Newcastle Ale - and clotted cream from Devonshire - and pudding from Yorkshire - plus that sauce that comes from Worcestershire, and...
Christ, you must be really, really bored to have taken such a daunting task upon yourself as finding, sampling & photogging (british for "take a picture of")english cuisine in all its glory. You go, girl!

HelenW said...

And scones -- the best British food ever!!

I will take the compliments, even though I found all the photos online. (Can you imagine if I went up to a bunch of guys at Smithfield Market and was like -- hey, can you all group together and smile?).

hehe. Thanks for posting on my blog!

emmsifoppicus said...

Erm - at any Tescos or similar they always sell Mayo! Look harder! :P

Erm as for Pepsi/Coke/Diet Coke...it may be different but im most (pretty much all) stores I've ever been to have all varieties - Pepsi - Coka Cola, Diet/Zero Sugar versions of each...but I do grant you that the Caffine Free ones are hard to come by - I've rarely seen those... Anyway, you must try Dr Pepper! It's like coke but it's fruiter - my fave soft drink of all time. I like those sandwiches too :)

As for the brekkie though - I couldn't eat all that in the morning - it's cereal or toast for me!

Yeah, don't eat the balck pudding - has anyone told you what it is? Burnt pig/cow blood! Avoid it like the plague! Rosefromearth is wise - stick to pies and icecream...though I must add "cheesecake" into the mix...

I love your photo-journalistic blog entries, it's like reading a cool insight magazine :D x

emmsifoppicus said...

P.s - my spelling's shot tonight... am very tired *yawn*... forgive me!

HelenW said...

Thanks Emma. Yeah, I've see pepsi around but not as much as coke.

Mayo. Really? I certainly haven't found it on anything served to me at a restaurant or cafe. I can hardly find English things in the stores (the stores in London are so small -- don't know how it is elsewhere) let alone mayo. I have never seen it here; I really thought it was one of those things that the English didn't have or use.

I do love English food, whatever bad rap it is sometimes given. It is so much more substantial than American food that is all fried (though I love fish and chips -- another dish I forgot to mention, and THE English dish at that). Much more homey, I feel, English cooking is.

p.s. spelling is so overrated. :)

rosefromearth said...

Yeah, I'm rather fond of chips myself.

emmsifoppicus said...

Ah - I see you meant Mayo served in restaurants...yeah, your right, they don't tend to offer it...

Molski said...

your mayo comment threw me for a loop.
maybe its just because i loathe mayo, and the people can sense that, but i think most of those prepackaged sandwiches i bought were slathered in mayo. because i remember being mad and thinking, these sandwiches are the best idea ever, why ruin it with mayo?
but maybe they heard my pleas and don't put it on things anymore.

i love british food. i thought our refectory food was outstanding 80 percent of the time.

and don't even get me started on scones...mmmmmmmmm