09 October 2008

In which Helen rambles

I found several sandwiches with mayo today. I guess I don't really pay attention to stuff; worse now. Was on the tube just now and got in the car that was going in the opposite direction. Just hopped on it; wasn't even paying attention. And then I find my mind wandering a lot when I'm walking on the streets and especially in my classes. I feel a little lost. Don't really know what I'm doing with myself. I know I want to be in London, I'm grounded in that sense, but am not really into my classes -- though very excited about my dissertation which I have already started. But I feel like there's more I can have. That's so selfish considering what I've been given, so much so that I don't think about that thing inside me that makes me feel restless, but it comes out, it's a manifestation of my occasionally -- more like regular -- inability to pay attention.

I was at Trafalgar Square yesterday, sitting on the steps that lead to the National Portrait Gallery, and instead of reading A Tale of Two Cities (which made me cry a bit after I finished it last night -- anyone read it? I've never had a book make me cry) instead of reading it, I was looking at all the people around me, particularly an English mother with her two daughters, the latter of whom were colouring in colouring books, little girls of probably 4 and 6; the four year old soon found her way to her mother's lap and her mother rocked her back and forth.



I'm so tired. Went to the University of London library today -- not King's College's library -- but another library connected with King's that is in Bloomsbury. Talk about a labrynth. (too lazy to look up spelling). Before you can get to the library on the fourth floor, you have to go through all these doors and climb stairs -- lifts, as always, non-functional. Then walking through the books and such is crazy, go through this doors, up another flight, go through four more doors, go down a corridor...some doors you can't go through, others you can. By the time you find your book, you spend another five minutes trying to get back out.

Actually, if I weren't in such a sour puss mood today (my right ear is bothering me and couldn't get an appointment with doctors on such short notice) I would have enjoyed it much more.

Didn't find any of the books I needed, none on the shelves although said they were available, I've been told students like to hide the books for the classes so that they can find it when they need them -- my college doesn't sell any of the books I need for the classes. But I did happen across a book about THE AVENGERS, the cult 60's detective show with Diana Rigg.



The only good episodes were the ones with her in them. And next to it was a book about DOCTOR WHO, a show I've recently become obsessed with...as some of you may know. It was published the same year as the new series came out so it's about the older versions of the show. It's a "critical reading of the show," which sounds like fun...to me.

Ekkk. So tired and cranky. I have to go out and buy some groceries; not looking forward to this. But have no food. Shall whine some more later...

ta!

(Here is a great -- and very funny -- article from Jeremy Clarkson. It's worth the read -- or I wouldn't put it on here:
Live Fast. )

7 comments:

emmsifoppicus said...

Think about ot - you've been here, what, like a week and a half - so much has happened in such a small space of time...you were waiting for yonks for your Visa and then when it came, you almost immediately jumped onto a speeding train and haven't got off since! Chill! :P Most of my lectures are good so far, but there is one module I'm not into. Is the class you doing now just one module? Dissertation sounds cool - I get to do mine in my 3rd year - for now it's set essays...

I think you said you only technically have classes on one day a week? No wonder you must feel odd the rest of the time - too much time off makes you feel weird and bored - I'm sure soon you'll find other things to do to spend you time - shame you can't work... Don't worry about the "lost" thing - week 3 now for me, and I'm finally feeling like I'm making proper friends... x

HelenW said...

haha. You are right Emma. I don't realize how I'm running myself down until I get physically sick sometimes. I have such high expectations -- I don't realize how much I have already accomplished.

My classes are one module. I'm taking two classes at the moment. I will still stand by the fact that they are boring -- I've taken enough classes to know that it will relatively remain so but that doesn't mean I don't need to know the things that I'm being taught. The professor's laid back seminar style teaching is not engaging enough for me; leaves me bored. One of the most challenging things I have found in my journey through school is not often the material of the classes or the work assigned but, sometimes, being able to do the work, and keep up with the class, when it is one you don't have much interest in. You do, though, if only to get to the next level.

I'm looking for a volunteer position to fill my time. I'd love to have some menial job in Parliament -- am currently fascinated with British politics.

I think I'll always feel a little bit lost. Wouldn't be human if I didn't. Especially me -- with my Charlotte Bronte loving semi-deterministic attitude about life.

Thanks for the response! I count on you to keep me in line. xx

By the way, what are your intentions with your degree -- Writing? Teaching?

emmsifoppicus said...

Oooh - volunteering, now there's an idea!

As for career, I did naively think of teaching a while ago but after helping out at church after-schools clubs (and doing work experience in year 10 at school at a primary school) I have come to the conclusion that it's not what I want to do. I have no idea what I want to do... I'm hoping I do by the time I graduate :S

I have wistful hopes of screenplay writing like Sandy Welch (did screenplay for Jane Eyre 06 - Toby!!, and North and South - Armitage!! )...seen as I'm interested in the process involved in transformation of text to screen... but maybe something in publishing... I think that in the 3rd year they tell you all the possible jobs your degree can get you and how to persue it... how about you? x

HelenW said...

Teaching -- college level. Which might be something to put on your list of possible jobs; quite different than working in a sunday school with, I presume, little one's. Though I love the little 'uns too, but couldn't handle them all the time. And don't even get me started on the high-schoolers. They'd have my head within the first day.

Screenwriting does sound like fun.

Aren't you siked to see Armitage in Spooks? It'll be nice to see him "cleaned up" again (after Robin Hood). Mmmmm.

emmsifoppicus said...

Oh yeaaaaaah! :P

rosefromearth said...

See? I told you we had mayonnaise.

And I have a secret desire to be Emma Peel. The other day I found a cat suit in the wardrobe and proceeded to walk around the TARDIS pretending to be her. I thought it was hilarious, I was even brandishing Jack's squareness gun (he left it here after Satellite Five), but the Doctor did not seem nearly as amused.

Molski said...

i love jeremy clarkson. and all the top gear boys.
thanks for that link! it was great.

and i hope you feel better