05 October 2008

Helen begins her readings for class

"The fiery furnace becomes a figure for the industrial unconscious."

Oh, blow me.

How about, people worked in factory's in the 19th century, it was the only job for the working class, it really sucked, a lot of people died, the end.

Don't give me all this overly-dramatic, "deep thinking", everything stands for some significant underlying motive crap -- "Factory tourism was an art of describing, one of the earliest journalistic attempts at an ethnography of work. It was passional [passional!] and fact-loaded [fact-loaded?!?]. Its strange mixture of positivist information and affect, empirical data coexisting with a poesis of glass, is an attempt both to document and mythologize. Statistics combine with iconographical language that derives from the Arabian Nights, Dante, and the biblical fiery furnace."

I don't know, maybe my reading skills are too under-developed, but this just sounds like claptrap. I'm all for the meaning beneath things but why must one be so "wordy' about it, so overly-dramatic. Passional. Why couldn't you just write passionate? Fact-loaded. Um, how about, there's a fucking lot of facts attributed to this discussion. "...empirical data coexisting with the poesis of glass." The "poesis of glass." How the fuck is glass poetic?!?

3 comments:

emmsifoppicus said...

erm..."positivist information and affect, empirical data" sounds like, erm, VERY sociological for my liking! Hated THe subject at school, yet ironically it was the one I scored highest in. YES, ABOVE Lit! :-(

The extract sounds a bit old - they haven't made us read anything that sounds so pompous- but it won't all be - they will have to get you reading modern critical stuff as well... am doing the greek play Antigone this week! Love greek plays - so dramatic!

It only just occurred to me that we are in the same time zone! Sorry if that sounds creepy as if trying to find stuff in common, but before, when you posted stuff, I found it interesting to think what time, compared to my time zone you were writing... it's fascinting to me that when one is going to bed, someone elsewhere is eating lunch... sorry for that digression!!

HelenW said...

Yeah it is a cool thing to think about! I would think the same when I was in America and now do here. I love thinking that while I am done with the day at 5:00 pm here, it is only 12:00 pm back home. It is surreal, almost supernatural.

Anonymous said...

Lol, it sounds like something I had to read for my Modern History of Poland class - taught by a German, so of course he decided to make it a torture! Anyway, I'm sure you'll get through it. I hate to admit it, but I just finished "Gertrude and Claudius" by Updike, and I loved it! Have you read it? I'll have to make sure to pack you some books which contain ladies of ill-repute and dangerously seductive men - one must have fun reading too!!!
-Mrs. Dexter