18 October 2008

Je ne sais pas

I miss my old professors. Abby went to a lecture at point park and ran into one of our favourite professors who was very excited to hear that I am in London and wants me to write him. Among many things, he teaches Hardy, and loves England himself. I miss how warm my prof's were but also not stifling, not mollycoddlers (well, not the male ones), and intense, challenging, difficult. I've met several prof's at King's that haven't come close to that. Is this the challenge for me then -- not the work, not writing the essays, not attending the classes, but doing what I need to do despite the dullness of it all?

I went all the way to the British Library today -- an hour and a half walk -- and didn't bring -- didn't even think about bringing -- my proof of address. I worked in a library for four years where the only two things I ever said were -- "May I help you" and "I need to see I.D. and a proof of address."

3 comments:

emmsifoppicus said...

Library? Asking for proof of address? Erm, I'm thinking I've never been asked that before :S

HelenW said...

haha. I've never not been asked for proof of address, except from college libraries.

emmsifoppicus said...

Strange! Maybe it depends on the region, coz I've never been to an American or London library! lol.